Netgear Router Firmware Update
Netgear provides new firmware updates for its routers on regular basis. There are three options available for Netgear Router Firmware update, that are:
- Router Web Interface.
- Manually from the Netgear Download Center.
- Using the Netgear Genie Application.
Let us help you with the step by step instructions for each of these.
Netgear Router Firmware Update Via Router Web Interface
Router web interface is the online router login portal to get access to router configuration and settings. This is the same portal that you use to set up your router.
Here’s how you can update the firmware using the Router web interface:
- Connect any computer or laptop to your router’s network using the Ethernet cable.
- Open any internet browser, type routerlogin.net in the address bar and hit Enter.
- Use your assigned username and password for login.
(If you forgot your username and password, read this – How I can reset my router login password?)
- Further go to “Administration” section under the “Advanced” tab.
- Click on Netgear Security Update or Netgear Firmware Update.
- Tap on “Yes” to initiate the update process. The whole process may takes up-to five minutes.
- The router will auto restart after the firmware is updated.
Note: Some update requires reconfiguration of router after the firmware update. Check the firmware release notes to know whether the reconfiguration is needed or not.
Manually Updating Netgear Router Firmware
Apart from the router login interface, you can update the firmware of the router manually from download center. Here’s how you can update Netgear Router Firmware manually:
- Go to Netgear Download Center to download the latest firmware of your router.
- You can use the model number of your router to search for the firmware.
- Connect this computer to the router using the Ethernet cable.
- Open any available web browser and go to www.routerlogin.net.
- Type router login username and the password.
- Go to “Administration” section under “Advanced”.
- Tap on “Firmware Update” button.
- Click on “Upload”. Do not interrupt the update process.
Firmware Update Using Netgear Genie Application
These steps will help you with Netgear Genie firmware update for the routers that are compatible with Genie application:
- Go inside the Genie application and tap on “Router settings”.
- Type in username and password when prompted.
- If the credentials are not working, check – How to reset the router login credentials.
- Navigate to right to go to visit “Router Update” tab.
- Click on “Next” to check if there is a firmware update available.
- The router will auto download the new firmware itself if there is an update available.
- After the download, click on “yes” to initiate the update process.
Once the update is completed, you will re-routed to Genie settings page where you can check the new version of the firmware.
What to do if Netgear Router firmware update failed?
In case the Netgear router firmware update failed, first reboot the whole network. Turn off the router, modem and the computer. Thereafter, plug the modem to the router turn them on. Turn on and connect the router to the computer. Now repeat the firmware update process using the steps provided above.
Apart from this, the firmware might be corrupted. This mostly happens when users tries to update the firmware using the wireless connection between the computer and the router. So make sure to connect the router to the computer using the Ethernet cable at the time of firmware update.
To check that whether you have updated the corrupted firmware, try pinging 192.168.1.1. If you get invalid response, the firmware is corrupted. In such scenarios, you can use the Netgear router firmware recovery utility download. This tool will help you to recover the old firmware of your router and then you can update it to the latest firmware.
Other possible reason for firmware update error is updating the wrong firmware. In this case there are two scenarios, first you are updating the firmware of a different router model and second there is an intermediate step.
Let us explain what intermediate step is –
- Suppose your current firmware is firmware 1 and you have to update it to latest firmware 1.2,
- Then firstly check if there is any 1.1 update got released by Netgear.
- If there is an 1.1 update available, update your router with it and then go for 1.2 version.
So that is how you can avoid or resolve Netgear Router firmware update failed errors.
What is a router’s firmware?
Firmware is the software embedded inside your router and can be referred to as the router’s brain. It provides network protocols and administrative controls with which the device gets aware of how to operate.
Why Firmware update is needed?
Firmware updates enhance the device performance and security, resolve bugs, and add new functionalities. Not only this, these are quick solutions to improve and repair the slow or interrupted internet connectivity with your router.